Educational assessments are administered to determine a child’s cognitive strengths and weaknesses, as well as language and written abilities. Understanding a child’s cognitive strengths and weaknesses can identify what support they need to function optimally in an academic setting, as well as in their social and family environments. Sometimes additional assessments tools are required which we can discuss as part of the overall assessment process.
We understand that parents have a natural desire for their child to be happy and flourish, so we will work together to tailor an effective strategy moving forward based on practical recommendations. After all, a diagnosis is only helpful if it provides a pathway towards a solution.
The most common assessment tools used include the Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence (WPPSI-IV Australian), the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC-V Australian) and the Wechsler Individual Achievement Test (WIAT-II Australian).
Our psychologists will give a clinical screening test to try to identify the cause of the discrepancy between ability and achievement.
We use iPad administration. Children appreciate this fun and modern approach to educational assessment.
What Sorts of Assessments are on Offer?
The tests of intelligence and ability that we used are recognised by schools for:
- Learning difficulty assessment
- Early entry recommendation
- Giftedness assessment
The assessments will:
- Identify the unique learning profile of children who are having difficulties at school
- Provide recommendations on specific interventions that will improve the child’s functioning in the classroom
- Provide advice on how the child’s learning can be supported at school and home
- Identify gifted children, so that appropriate educational planning and extension can be undertaken
An Educational Assessment includes:
- A meeting with the parents/caregivers
- Assessment time of between 2 and 5 hours, depending on the reason for the referral
- A written report
Giftedness and early entry assessments involve only IQ assessment, so involve one child assessment session, plus the report.
Contact with the school and an observation in the classroom when appropriate, with parental/caregiver consent, and a follow up meeting with parents/caregivers to explain results can be arranged.
Booking Educational Assessments at Rose Park Psychology
Samantha Chapman offers educational assessments.
You can access their profiles by clicking on the name, where you will find more information about training, experience and interests.
To book an appointment, or for more information, please feel free to contact us.