Panic Attack Treatment by a Psychologist
Life can be like a roller coaster if you suffer from panic attacks, but you have a high chance of success in overcoming panic attacks and high anxiety if you seek help from a psychologist. Effective treatment of panic attacks is one of psychology’s success stories. Your chances of recovery are very good.
You are not alone
One in ten people suffer from at least one panic attack in their lifetime.
- Many sufferers of high anxiety have very strong will-power but have fallen into anxiety traps
- We offer treatment with CBT, mindfulness and other evidence based approaches
- With guidance, panic attacks, high anxiety and phobias are curable
- The success rate of treatment is 80 – 90%
- Recovery can be complete
Psychological treatment methods will give you a new understanding of the real cause of panic attacks and a high chance of long-term successful results.
With psychological treatment you can:
- Learn how your present approach to managing anxiety may be making the problem worse, not better.
- Learn how to escape the anxiety trap.
- Control your symptoms with breathing techniques.
- Use the mindfulness approach.
- Desensitise your anxiety by following a professionally designed desensitisation program.
- Learn new strategies for controlling symptoms.
- Practise cognitive coping strategies.
- Overcome your worst fears – slowly and completely.
At Rose Park and Westbourne Park Psychology, we have clinical psychologists trained in the best way to treat panic attacks.
Symptoms of panic attacks can include:
- Heart palpitations
- Rapid, pounding heart
- Tightness of chest
- Difficulty breathing
- Butterflies in the stomach
- Weakness all over
- Tingling hands
- Dry mouth
- Feelings of warmth or cold
- An overwhelming urge to escape
- A feeling of going mad
- Intense fear of losing control
- Fear of collapse, perhaps with a heart attack
- Fear of death or insanity
- Fear of embarrassment
Panic attacks happen when the body’s emergency button is being pressed continuously – the experience can be terrifying. It is one of the most unpleasant feelings that can be experienced. Feelings of extreme fear and dread may strike with no warning and for no apparent reason.
In the long term, the experience and avoidance of panic attacks may lead to:
- Restriction of life’s activities
- Loneliness and social isolation
- Relationship problems
- Physical symptoms of stress
- Sleep disturbance
- Low self-esteem
- Loss of confidence
- Exhaustion and demoralisation
Treating Panic Attacks at Rose Park Psychology
All of our psychologists have excellent training in treatment programs that are effective in treating panic and high anxiety. Most people can over come their anxiety problems in 6 – 10 sessions. Some people with long established problems of anxiety may need more sessions.
An additional option could be to join our Mindfulness Meditation Group for adults or adolescents. Whilst is it not a replacement for an individual treatment program, you will learn techniques that you can use for your benefit in the long term. There is a Medicare rebate for group attendance that is additional to the rebates for individual sessions.
Contact us today to book an appointment, or to join our group courses, on (08) 8333 0940 or via email at email@example.com. Our friendly receptionists are available to answer your questions and assist you in selecting the best option for you.