Dr Remy McCubbin Clinical Psychologist
Dr Remy McCubbin
Dr Remy McCubbin is an experienced Clinical Psychologist, who has worked in a variety of settings. He graduated from the University of Manchester (UK) in 1998. He has been at Rose Park Psychology for eight years, and before this worked with community mental health teams in both the UK and Adelaide. He has also been involved with research and training, and has worked with the crisis support team here in Adelaide.
In these roles, he has supported people facing a wide range of challenges related to their mental health. Emotional disturbances he has worked with include Depression and Anxiety, often related to difficulties in relationships and a negative self-image. Difficulties controlling behaviour (for example, in Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), thinking (such as worry or depressive rumination) or strong emotions (such as anger and resentment) have also been common presentations. Dr McCubbin also has experience working with those affected by more severe/enduring mental illness.
Across all these varied forms of disturbance, the central aims remain the same: to develop an explanation of where the problems came from, and what keeps them going. From this, attempts are made to select realistic, meaningful treatment goals, and to base interventions on sound, evidence-based principles.
Dr McCubbin approaches his work with a sense of humour, and an awareness of the need to maintain good rapport and a strong treatment alliance. In terms of treatment approaches, he most commonly uses cognitive, behavioural, and interpersonal therapies. He has received additional training in schema therapy, emotion-focused therapy, brief psychodynamic-interpersonal therapy, and metacognitive therapy. He regularly attends further training events and clinical supervision with colleagues.
Areas of Interest
He has particular interests in the areas of:
- Depression, including bipolar depression
- Anxiety disorders, severe and mild
- Interpersonal difficulties/relationship problems
- Self-esteem and self-image
- Regulating and expressing strong emotions
- Social Anxiety
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Qualifications and Memberships
- Doctor of Clinical Psychology (University of Manchester, UK)
- Registered Psychologist with the Psychology Board of Australia
- Endorsed to practice clinical psychology by the Psychology Board of Australia
- Member of the Australian Clinical Psychology Association
- Member of the Society for Psychotherapy Research