A Psychologist Can Help You to Rediscover that Loving Connection
We all would probably list love as one of the main ingredients of a happy life. Yet relationships, for all their potential, can be an arena where we act out old, destructive patterns of behaviour, bring up our insecurities, and communicate ineffectively. Couples counselling can be undertaken to improve or strengthen a relationship that is under stress.
If you recognise some of the following, you may benefit from couples counselling:
- Frequent petty fights and conflict
- Drifting apart and having nothing to say to each other any more
- Lack of intimacy, both physical and emotional
- Struggling to build a cohesive unit in blended families
- Infidelity and lack of trust
- Allowing outside influences such as in-laws or work to impact on the relationship
- Vastly different views on parenting
Couples Counselling Helps You To:
- Improve communication
- Learn and practise effective problem-solving techniques
- Explore and encourage ways to connect better
- Learn to fulfill each other’s needs better
- Strengthen cohesion and commitment
- Get along better as a family
- Build a shared vision for the future
Tina Charles and Jill Wiltshire both utilise a considered and structured approach to couples counselling which is based on the Gottman Method. Some of the advantages of this method are that it enables a couple to disengage from conflict, look at how they can constructively learn new skills and take a different approach to future conflicts.
Couples Counselling at Rose Park Psychology
The following psychologists offer couples counselling at Rose Park Psychology:
Couples Counselling and Health Rebates
Many GPs are reluctant to refer for couples counselling under a Mental Health Care Plan, because Medicare is for health problems as opposed to relationship issues. If you feel that relationship difficulties contribute to mental health issues you are experiencing, you could discuss that with your GP. As stated, however, many GPs will not create a Mental Health Care Plan for this service. This means that most people cannot access Medicare rebates for couples counselling.
However, many private health funds offer cover for couples counselling under extras, so a portion of your couples counselling may be covered by your private health provider. We offer HICAPS facilities on site. Please check with your health fund for information about your refund, as we are unable to tell you ahead of time what your cover will be.